Re: Clay with 30 kids

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 14:58:41 PST

KPRS wrote:
> <snip> So I had a clay
> throwing day. Yup, nut that I was/am, I declared it (and thank goodness I
> only had 1 clay class at the time) that for 10 minutes they could throw all
> the clay they wanted, but we had to clean the room up for the other 35
> minutes, and the room had to look better than we started out.<snip>

I love this! When I taught HS, clay was such a novelty to the students
that I allowed them one whole period to squoosh, pound, roll snakes, and
just act like kids with it (but, no throwing!) to get it out of their
systems. The next day, they started the lesson and could concentrate on
using the clay properly.

> I keep in touch with some of those claythrowers...and in fact
> one has my personal potter's wheel in his garage where he is teaching his
> daughter how to throw clay.

You mean on the wheel, of course??

Maggie

---