Re: Grading Long Projects

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 14:45:34 PST

A couple of things to consider....

Consider what specifically you are having them do in a
project that
justifies the time being spent. Those items can be assessed
individually in terms of the level of skill that was
evidenced in the
handling of those components. The total project has that
many more
gradable pieces that will then factor into the total grade
at the end of
the work being done.

For example....

I have a series of drawings that my Drawing I class has to
create
around a single concept. Each drawing is broken down into
various
components that are then assessed separately. The final
grade on this
project (which runs for about 2 weeks), is based on the
final
assessment that ends up being done as a cumulation of all of
the
various parts. I am also able to incorporate an additional
grade based
on the observable progress that was evidenced over the
expanse of
the time allotted to the assignment based on the level at
which the work
improved (or remained flat).

The other nice thing about lengthy assignments is that there
is often
time to have students discuss what they are doing and, with
the proper
feedback, provide time for work to be improved prior to its
being
graded. This then allows for the opportunity at least of
greater success
by the student.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Kevan