Re: Clay with 30 kids

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 11:12:57 PST

In a message dated 3/19/04 9:35:05 PM, BSoviero@aol.com writes:

> Sometimes, when I am doing a project where I will need to give my students
> individual attention, I split the class in half.  What about assigning an
> independent design or drawing project for half the class, while you work with
> the other half in clay, and then switch? ...it makes it a bit more manageable
> for you in terms of cleanup ...while improving the quality of the clay work.>>

Right on, Breanne! After years of having multiple projects happening
simultaneously I marvel at the courage it must take to paint or work in clay with
upwards of thirty students at once. As a choice-based teacher I love the
"small class size" that having independent work centers creates. I can work
closely with the painters, for instance, while the rest of the class functions
primarily on its own. Cleanup is much easier, as each student is responsible for
materials directly in front of them.
kathy douglas
 http://ebps.net/centralschool/artshow.html
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab