Re: teaching tints and shades-middle school

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 11:09:05 PST

Thanks Ken,

Excellent advice for Mike!

>> For what it's worth I teach that tints are adding
white, shades are adding black, tones are adding
grays. Complementary pairs reduce the intensity of a
color, it changes the hue or chroma to a dulled color
that eventually becomes a neutral. The opposite color
or complement takes away the chroma and produces a
neutral brown and when you add black and white will
give some very interesting colors.
Ken Schwab
---------------------------

Here are links to Ken's lessons using tints and
shades:
http://www.room3art.com/php/section.php?scand=users/2003/Art1/value_Abstract
This lesson also uses complimentary colors
http://www.room3art.com/php/section.php?scand=users/2002/Art3/letterdesign
He has another abstract architecture one - but I
couldn't find that lesson.

I guess a good source for someone to check color
definitions would be ArtLex....

http://www.artlex.com/

I think the key is that to get a shade you add a
DARKER color or black. Adding yellow to violet does
not give you a darker violet - but a hue that is less
intense (anyone who has tried knows that mixing the
three primary colors in pigments really does not give
you black). Green and red are very close in value -
blue is a darker value than orange. It is a good idea
to brush up on your color vocabulary before you teach
color theory to your students (don't expect the kids
to remember all of it, though). Maybe start by looking
up tints and shades?

I have that link on:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/arted.htm

Here is another good source for Mike - or anyone - to
check color definitions:
http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/paint.html

I have that link on my Art Education page, too.

You will find more links to color theory there, also.

Hope this helps,

Judith Decker