RE: teaching tints and shades-middle school

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 04:26:04 PST

I use the complements (and actually hide the black paint).

San D

  I'm looking for opinions on how list members teach tints and shades in
painting at the middle school level. More specifically shades. Do you teach
shades by adding black or by adding the complement. I have tried both and
although some students have a hard time mixing the exact complement, it
seems to me the toned down, darker colors achieved by using complements are
nicer. I use sax true tempera by the way.

  mike sacco
  p.j. gelinas jhs
  setauket,ny