Clay 30 kids - Middle School

---------

From: Michelle Kee (m1kee2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 22:28:07 PST

The class earns the privilege of working with clay. The best behaved class
have first option. I can rotate 3 classes through the process. The second
rotation may not have as much time or glaze choice as the first set. I
allow music, chatting while working, sitting with friends - I have zero
tolerance for messing around with clay.

Each student walks into the class with 20 points, earns points for their
table, and their table earns points for their class. We have reward Friday.
  The classes compete for the outstanding year end party. One person makes
a difference.

However, when one student makes the poor choice of messing with clay -
pounding, throwing, tossing, stealing, he/she suffers the consequence of
takiing the Text Book, rewriting it in their own words, (chapter on
form,etc) paragraph by paragraph in the allocated "Time Out" room
(elsewhere) until the clay assignment in class is complete. If clay is
found outside on campus the entire class clay assignment is shut down, if a
student witnesses another taking clay out of the class - report it, then we
can do something about it and that student will be dealt with severely. If
I see someone rolling clay balls, ready to ship it out of the class, I do a
general class reminder.

Students work on canvas boards, rinse out their hands in buckets of water
(wipe on inexpensive towels), tables take turns emptying buckets watering
trees, adding water for the next class - frees up my plumbing. Rollers,
canvas boards, equipment are returned neatly stacked.