RE: Clay with 30 kids

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 19:12:55 PST

Back in "the day" when I first started teaching, I took over for a much
beloved although very straightlaced art teacher. (I teach high school). I
noticed that since our styles were quite different that her students didn't
know quite what to do with me, and likewise, I with them. They were
frightened of art, and I was in their humble opinion 'nuts'. So I had a clay
throwing day. Yup, nut that I was/am, I declared it (and thank goodness I
only had 1 clay class at the time) that for 10 minutes they could throw all
the clay they wanted, but we had to clean the room up for the other 35
minutes, and the room had to look better than we started out. By the end of
the 10 minutes we were laughing so hard we ALL had to pee. We had clay
everywhere on everything. BUT that said, it was a real icebreaker, and they
cleaned the place up from top to bottom at the end....and to this day 22
years later, I keep in touch with some of those claythrowers...and in fact
one has my personal potter's wheel in his garage where he is teaching his
daughter how to throw clay.

San D

---