Re: Clay with 30 kids

---------

From: Justin Kramer (bern30_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1904 - 19:02:39 PDT

Students who throw clay, owe me a class period of clean up time before
allowed back into the project

If this occurs in my class, especially as there appeared to be a culture of
it prior to my arrival at my current school and seen the ceillings in the
other art rooms dotted with many small clay balls, I issue the student with
a health and safety warning. If the student has received 3 health and safety
warnings and after contact with parents from prior incidents then the
student is removed from the subject premanently.

This may seem extreme and last year I ended up removing 2 from the subject,
however after this the attitude towards this behaviour started to change. My
attitude towards this is that it is dangerous on many levels - from initiate
threat of harm to long term harm resulting from residue dust and its built
up. I do explain this to the students and make them responsible for their
behaviour.

Haven't had a single incident this year :)

Cheers

Justin

---