Scanning

---------

From: Vicki Leishman (vicki_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 18:55:53 PST

Hi Folks,

I'm going off on a tangent but I would like to recommend a book titled 'How
to Do Everything with Your Scanner' by David Huss. This is an excellent
reference for those who have little knowledge about scanners, scanning
images, what those dialogues boxes mean etc or, if like me, you are
reasonably competent in this area but know there are a few significant
gaps. The language is easy to understand (for computing stuff), logically
presented, well laid out, provides visual examples, lots of tips, and
doesn't include any of those irritating, time-wasting jokes. I can actually
read this one just before I go to bed and remember something the next day!
I borrowed my copy from our local library and I'm considering buying it.
Note: the chapter headings do not do this book justice.

Reference:

Huss, Dave. (2003). How to Do Everything with Your Scanner (2nd Ed.).
Emeryville, California: McGraw Hill-Osborne.

The following are chapter headings:

Part 1: Basic Details about your Scanner
Chpt. 1: Get Acquainted with your scanner
Chpt 2: Buy, install and maintain your scanner
Chpt 3: Make your first scan
Chpt 4: Save what you have scanned
Chpt 5: Print what you have scanned

Part 2: Put your scanner to work
Chpt 6: Scan graphics for use on the web
Chpt 7: Scan documents using OCR software
Chpt 8: Use your scanner for a variety of workplace tasks
Chpt 9: Put your scanner to work at home, too

Part 3: Advanced scanner stuff
Chpt 10: Get the Best Scan You Can
Chpt 11: Scan your negatives and slides
Chpt 12: Organising your photos
Chpt 13: Selecting and using Photo Editors
Chpt 14: Correct and enhance Your Scanned Photos
Chpt 15: Repair and Restore Photographs

Vicki
(Perth, Western Australia)

---