RE: Clay with 30 kids

---------

From: Christy Kane (claygoddess31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 08:31:34 PST

Pam,
DO your kids work at tables? Can you reward the tables that work
silently?And I mean absolutely silent. Have them "LISTEN" to the clay.
Listening to the clay requires using the EYES only. TAlk to them about the
"Silent language of clay", clay talks to us visually through cracks, gaps,
smooth surfaces. It can't be heard/seen when your brain and ears are
listening to your own voice or your neighbors'..
The rewards could be as small as candy, or first table to line up, or table
that picks the next artist of the week? Have a list of "Quiet Artists"
posted where they can sign their artist's signatures?
One of the joys of clay is the enthusiasm it brings and unfortunately it
manifests itself in excited voices!

Christy Kane
3-D Art Teacher
Deer Lakes High School