Clay with 30 kids

---------

From: Pam Smith (thinkart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 08:07:31 PST

HELP
I am not a new teacher, however, I am new to teaching art with 30+ kids in
my classes. The last two years my biggest class was 24, most were under 20
(my GT class had 3). How do you keep order to teach 30 middle school kids to
create good clay products. I donıt even have traps in my sinks so we have to
put tubs in the sinks and dump them outside when they start to get full. It
is hard for them to take responsibility, and do that. I would like to do
more, but my classroom management seems to fall apart with clay. I was firm
with them and havenıt had a problem with ³hormonal related creations², but
there is clay everywhere and the noise level is almost unbearable. Do I
accept that as part of the job? Maybe is just need to loosen up a bit.
Pam in Hawaii.

---