Re: sculpture involving math and science -Tony

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 09:59:58 PST

Good to hear from you again Tony,

I recall some of the posts that were made in January
were about sculpture. The posts begin with your
request on January 21:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Jan04/0756.html
(sometimes these do go to the right messages....
Scroll down to art integrated with math and science:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Jan04/index.html
January was a good month for sculpture posts too -
there were many ideas - that with some tweaking could
include math and science. (play around with scale when
you photograph them - make them look monumental - add
them to a natural setting - creating a scultpure park
- digitally)

If you want to get into more science - try the Patina
Antiquing finishes (chemistry). See Dick Blick catalog
page 493.

I have some ideas for animals - see the sculptures by
Kevan Nitzberg's students first - then let me know if
you are interested....Maybe researching animals of the
area before man came along? or animal totems? - then
researching animal habitat.
http://www.anoka.k12.mn.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=19970
If that link breaks - just go to Sculpture I - current
projects
http://www.anoka.k12.mn.us/ahsnitzberg

You can include some math and science in plaster
mixing, too.

Hope this helps. I bet high school teachers will have
more ideas for you.

Best wishes with your program

Judith Decker