Grace Hall's Independent Projects -Choice Based Art Ed -HS level

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 08:59:59 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I could spend hours looking at Grace's student work!
With each one - I see artists (contemporary) that I
would like to turn the students on to (if only I could
find the links again - most are in Getty archives,
too) - I know they would like them. I don't think I
would get anything else done, though (smile). Here
these students are doing "in the style of so and so"
and they don't even know it (grin).

Here is Grace's Artsonia Link:
http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=2B46D9815EA743739083F6D0907BD27F

It is listed on my Art Teachers' Sites page. All I
have on the Independent project is the blurb from her
site:

Independent Project for High School - Grace Hall

This is a project that I've done for many many years.
It has proved to be a great way to keep kids
interested, motivated, and on task the whole time they
are in the art room. This is what my students work on
when they complete their other assignments early. This
is a way of allowing the student to make choices about
what and how they create art. The assignment is given
at the beginning of the year. They are assigned to do
2 or more per term, the first one due at mid-term, the
second at the final. Students are encouraged to work
on this project during any free time they have in my
class, because I say they have no free time. If they
do, then they have chosen to use time they could be
working on their project. There is also a space on my
rubric about using time wisely while in class. The
Independent Project takes care of all kinds of
objectives! See the student solutions on Grace's
Artsonia Site (link will take a while to load - well
worth the wait)

Here is where you will find it on IAD:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/freetime.htm

Grace, I would LOVE to do an IAD feature on this. I
need a reason to save more of the projects. Send me
any files/handouts/guidelines/rubrics you have already
on this (NO RUSH).

Thanks for the offer!

Judith Decker

P.S. When I first taught back in 1976-79 - ALL Art 4
was choiced based - sure kept me on my toes being a
new teacher. I learned a lot. Technology would have
made it easier.

--- gchall@bsb.k12.la.us wrote:
> On the subject of Choice Art, I believe my
> Independent Project lesson fits into
that category and it's something I've taught for 13
years, because it works! I require my students to
choose a challenging project that they can work on in
their spare time in my class, something that won't
be completed in an hour. For example when a student
finishes an assigned project ahead of everyone else in
the class he/she can go get the painting or pen and
ink they've been working on and invest some time in
it. I let them choose the subject and the media, I
just like to have some input, since I can't provide
supplies for every art project there is available.
Sometimes the student brings the supplies in if
they're not available in the classroom, like craft
supplies. It's a great way for students
to stay focused on art, do something THEY want to do
instead of always having to do what the teacher says.
I firmly believe in it's ability to keep the
student focused on art and creation while they are
in the room.