Re: LInda- oaxacan wood sculptures

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 14:55:21 PST

Sounds like I need a table mounted scroll saw on the list too. I've always wanted one..........I'll definitely have to plan this after spring break so that I'll have the time to deal with it! :)

lindwood@webtv.net wrote:One other thing about those sculptures...I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch
plywood and had our maintenance dept. cut up the pieces for the backs.
Next year I am going to buy 1x2 or some molding for the legs and let him
slice those up too, in various lengths, for legs and necks. It's
cheaper and if you buy the precut long length sets, you will spend
forever trying to match them all up to sizes before your kids get to
them. I will cut legs into 2", 3", 5", 7", 10" and 12" lengths, bundled
up in groups of 4, totaling about 76 sets for my 60 kids. I will
subdivide those sets into three groups with a full range of sizes...one
for each class. Go heavier on the 5-10 inch sets than on the 2,3,and 12
inch sets. Some kids may have to make due with what is left, but you
will get a lot of variety, and they will be forced to think about how to
make it work. Also, buy lots of sax little pieces, turned ends, and if
they have any round pieces, try to buy some of those. It's hard to know
what to buy, just get more than you think you need.

Linda Woods

Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

www.sjs.org
click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as well
as our art archives.

---
Do you Yahoo!?