RE: (aen) and arted MSDS and safety in the art room

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 11:48:15 PST

The MSDS regulations are OSHA requirements. Yes, it is a federal agency. Interestingly, it is designed more to protect workers than the children in our charge. We are supposed to have MSDS sheets on everything, even soap, cooking oil, other stuff we might bring from home. If you use a product like a cleaner that is also used by your custodial staff, it is covered if the custodians have MSDS sheets on it. If a school is inspected and found lacking in safety precautions, it (the district) can be fined. In our area it has been more of a problem for science labs than anything. Most art supply companies, Sax, for example, will send MSDS sheets with your orders if you request them. Many can also be found on line. The things I've had most difficulty with are ordinary things like dish detergent. Good luck. It can be a real pain. Linda in NC