Re: See Kathy Douglas' TAB- Choice Art Exhibit

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 18:16:17 PST

In a message dated 3/14/04 8:45:46 PM, lindwood@webtv.net writes:

> You must be presenting your
> masks to a point, though, right?

Thank you for your comments Linda. Everything in the choice classroom has
been presented in a relatively "traditional" manner at the beginning of an art
class. Each class begins with that in my teaching. I am very bossy about
having my five minutes at the start of class!!! The demonstration is limited to
about 5-7 minutes; just enough for the students to decide if they wish to
start on it that day (or ever). More in depth info is given to the students who
choose the topic...and they go on to coach other students in the future.
Students always have the choice of trying the new thing or of working in the centers
in the room which always contain materials and concepts already introduced.
In the case of the masks, which are built on half a gallon spring water jug,
nobody could choose it the week of the demo: the students must bring in their
own jug in order to visit that center. Masks were introduced in October;
each week I have between six (the limit) and one student begin a mask in any
third grade class. So the masks on the site were created when the student chose
to do it and when the student brought an armature. Some students have made
three masks; the second mask and subsequent always come out better than the
first, of course. There are students who have not (and will not) make a mask
this year.

The paintings in the show are similiar: In third grade I offer 2ft x 3 ft 90
pound paper at the same time I give my mini lecture on subject matter. I
show large Shorefield reproducations, four each week for awhile--a still life, a
landscape, a portrait and a non objective painting. Students can work large
like that if they agree to interact with the work for at least part of three
classes. I only have room for 4-6 big paper paintings each week. So once
again, those paintings in the show were made independently over a period from
October to last week (yes, a couple of them were still soaking wet when
photographed!) Some students have made five or six large paintings (Ashley in Mrs.
Geggat's class has proven to be a brilliant painter and paints EVERY week.
You will notice a lot of dragons in that class; that came from students seeing
Ashley paint one. She now serves as an instructor of painting in that class.
Ashley is eight.)

I hope some of this makes sense!
The children will be so happy to hear that artists far away have looked at
their work!
kathy douglas
 http://ebps.net/centralschool/artshow.html
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab