Re: papier mache:really easy

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 17:37:48 PST

In a message dated 3/14/04 8:26:40 PM, marciadotcom@yahoo.com writes:

> Does anyone have pictures of paper mache projects they've done on their
> websites?
> Do you Yahoo!?

I have posted photos of a wonderful set of papier mache sculptures my student
teacher Laurie Anderson helped her students make. Second graders used water
bottles with sand in them (to give stability) They added heads made of
crumpled newspaper with masking tape. They papier mache'd the entire figure and made
them into people, or in some cases animals. For most students: week one,
building armature and papier mache-ing, week two painting with tempera paint and
week three dressing the people with cloth, beads, yarn etc etc. Some children
chose to continue week four, more of the same. To see the photos you have
to go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArtsEducators/ and look in the photos
area. You may have to join to do this; joining is worthwhile. It is the easiest
and most open ended papier mache we have experienced in our school. Our
friend Carolyn Bonomi shared the idea with us. (she is on this list--thanks,
Carolyn!) I usually use the Pariscraft plaster now instead of papier mache as it
is faster and dries quickly, although it is much more expensive. I have very
little storage space and the plaster sculptures stack without damage.

kathy douglas
http://ebps.net/centralschool/artshow.html
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab