Re: Papier Mache and paint

---------

Nnaell_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 11:21:24 PST

In a message dated 3/14/04 2:11:30 PM, bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

<<
>..... Then I would have 2 class periods for painting. (use acrylic not
> tempera on papier mache....)
*********************************

Hi. Just curious why you said not to use tempera on papier mache. I ALWAYS
use tempera on papier mache in my middle school classroom so I found your
comment interesting. Could you explain your rationale a little further?
Toodles.....Bunki >>

I have found that tempera weakens papier mache because of the water. I use
acrylic because it makes it more durable. That is my own experience. I use
acrylic for all sculpture (that is painted) or any thing I want to be durable.
Also tempera can crack and acrylic is more elastic and doesn't crack. Again,
just my own experience. Everyone is going to go with what works for them. I
just find that when I have students use tempera on papier mache, it can loose
its shape if it gets too wet. I also have them gesso the papier mache
sculptures before painting with acrylic. Lots of steps...but the result tends to be
more permanent than if painted with tempera.

I use tempera almost exclusively for 2-D painting...but that is pretty much
it. I have used it "under duress" when I ran out of paint and was completely
desperate, but the product was not durable, could not be saved and cracked when
moved or manipulated (with murals and sculputure).

As for the kind of temperas I use (I know that will come up now that is a
"debate!) I use crayola premium and sax ultra.

Again, preferences for materials are based on one's own experiences. These
are mine with tempera.

---