LInda- oaxacan wood sculptures

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 07:09:50 PST

Those are great. What kind of paint did they paint with? Roughly how big are they? I love how animated some of the expressions are. Your jewelry is also wonderful by the way. I'm a jewelry junkie. Maybe someday I'll start to actually do it. :) jancy

lindwood@webtv.net wrote:One thing that I have found is helpful with PM is to use recyclable
plastic shower curtains on the tables. They wipe off with a sponge, or
you can hose them off. If there is still a bit of residue, it won't
matter. I loved making my big long chair project and my big long box
project with my fifth graders. There were so many facets to the lesson,
and creativity did blossom with the time they were allotted. The pokey
period is taping it off if there is a lot of taping to do. I agree,
though, it is better to do a project like this at a different time than
crunch time at the end of the year. How sad it would be to spend a LONG
time working on it and have kids not quite finish. I always allotted
extra time after school for kids who were behind. I even sent them home
on weekends with parents for kids to work on. I Supplied little buckets
of goop, paper, etc., if needed. to take home.
The part I got most burned out on after doing it for so long was not the
mess, but all of the collecting, cutting up, and organization of my
cardboard scraps into various size boxes. It was a MAMMOTH task to cut
up and save cartons, and buy and cut cardboard for 60 kids. That is
definitely a parent's job. And large projects take up a lot of room for
a long time. If you can design a project that could stack when dry,
that would be helpful. Still, even though my room was crammed, filled
with "stuff", and took a lot of management, I always loved seeing the
creativity that bloomed from such projects. I moved to the Oaxacan
Wooden animals (on my site) as an alternative/break from Papier Mache
this year. I know I'll go back to it, but I wanted to keep it fresh. I
loved the wood project...you could papier mache on top of the wood, too,
like adding features, fur, hair, or whatever. But this year we just
used wood and I took a mini-vacation and still loved what
happened with the project.

Linda Woods

Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

www.sjs.org
click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as well
as our art archives.

---
Do you Yahoo!?