Re: Teaching perspective at what age?

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 06:52:46 PST

I have successfully taught 2-point perspective to 5th graders going on 30 years now, but I agree with the point of view offered by other contributers, that not all at this age are ready for the concept. The whole idea of perspective drawing is a rather abstract notion of creating the illusion of three dimensions on a two dimensional surface, so I approach it in that manner with kids. I know it is lost on some of them, but I also realize that many of the art teachers my students will encounter in middle and high school may not have a good working knowlege of perspective, and I think it is important to at least introduce the concept, in the hope it will be repeated sometime later in their education. Kids this age are gaining awareness of overlapping, shadows and linear perspective, even if they don't know the nomenclature, so anything that begins to satisfy their curiousity about such things should enhance their work in the long run, even if it isn't apparent right away in future
drawings. So the message here is that if you yourself understand the concept, work out a simple way of teaching it--I sure wish someone had taught me those skills in elementary school! Hope this helps,
Jerry

---