Re: teaching perspective at what age?

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 20:31:42 PST

In a message dated 3/12/04 5:57:10 PM, wduncan@kc.rr.com writes:

> But to me as a painter,
> perspective is not simply the one, two or multiple point perspective.
> I think informal perspective should start as soon as possible.

Woody, I totally agree! And that is something that much younger children
can learn and use. Second graders get a little talk (and a chart on the wall)
from me about "art magic" or ways to make a drawing or painting appear to have
depth. Things far away near the top of the page, things nearer the bottom,
size decreases with distance, etc. as well as detail and using overlapping and
bleeding off the page...a number of the children apply this to their
independent art work. The chalkboard in the front of my room is a drawing space and
those techniques are often practiced there.
kathy d.

---