RE: teaching perspective at what age?

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 16:23:53 PST

Hmmm.. perspective. Thinking back to my own schooling.. we were introduced to it maybe in Jr. High, we did a hallway perspective drawing in high school (but I still didn't "get it")... For some people (like me) it takes awhile to learn to apply to other artworks. I wasn't fully able to apply it to other artworks until college! I think at the junior high level, it's good to introduce it, so they get a "feel" for it, but I think only a few will really be able to apply it to other artworks, unless you spend a lot of time on this concept (which we all know how small amount of time we have to teach the students).. just my two cents. I teach a step by step hallway drawing (and they all turn out great!) in 6th grade and another perspective drawing in 7th.

"Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:I would agree. Perspective is something I gently introduce somwhere between the end of 4th and the end of 5th grade. The older the students are, the easier it is to teach. A while back, Kathy, you posted some sort of evaluation of projects from the teachers' point of view. The specific that has had me thinking is whether or not the student is able to repeat and carry the knowledge you've taught them to other situations within art. Example - you teach them perspective step by step, they create a cool city scape. Given the opportunity, will the student repeat the city scape in a new formation? Or might they add or create those boxes for some other purpose? That's kinda my clue as to where that porject is reaching the students. One of my kid's favorites is a variation of stacked boxes - sort of a surrealist frun image. A few of the other teachers on this listserve have successful projects using one point perspective, boxes,
 holes and rope .Can;t remember whose they were, but they were cool. My son brought home a project in 4th grade with a castle wall, Floor in 1pt. perspective checkerbd. and a dragon, table and chair, folded into that same one pt. perpective. He seemed to manage it fairly successfully, but it didn't recurr in his art.

Jan