Re: teaching perspective at what age?

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 12:08:12 PST

In a message dated 3/12/04 2:57:24 PM, clarkda@glasscity.net writes:

> I typically taught these "perspective drawing" type classes to 9th graders,
> not ages 9-14.   What level would this be best in your humble opinions?
> http://www.geocities.com/~jlhagan/K9-14/introduction.htm

Donna: good question! I took a look at the site and would certainly agree
with your age assessment. A study of the developmental stages of drawing and
child cognative development would suggest that many nine year old students are
not "there" yet. This type of exercise has the potential to turn students
away from drawing permanently. I do have a few 8-9 year old students students
each year who are beginning to see the 3-D possibilities in their drawings
and I work one on one with them. By the way, I read over Mr. Hagan's
biography. He seems a teacher of many skills, but I did not see experience listed
in working with young students.
kathy douglas

---