Re: Youth Art Month - Youth as Advocates (for all)

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 09:17:39 PST

For anyone interested....

"Joan" likes this topic....Linda does, too.

Did you know Youth Art Month started was back in 1961!
I didn't hear about Youth Art Month until I started
teaching again in 1990.
http://www.acminet.org/youth_art_month.htm
You will find lots of good "art blurbs" here to
support art education.

....and in 1984, the Council for Art Education, Inc.
(CFAE) was created by The Art and Creative Materials
Institute, Inc. (ACMI) to administer the national
Youth Art Month program and to encourage funding for
the program. (ACMI started Youth Arts Month)

Some Youth Art Month Resources for you:
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/lesson-plans/lesson-6681.html
This gives some Interdisciplinary activities.
Not all lessons are on line.
Might be fun to give your middle school thru high
school the art styles quiz as a homework assignment -
just to see how many they can find (Make it a
"challenge" - don't grade too heavily if they don't do
it).

Georgia has a lot of Taste of Art Ideas:
http://www.gaea.armstrong.edu/yaminfo.htm (click
sample ideas) Great Month to do the Edible Color
Wheel!

Youth as Advocates....Hmmm..."Taste of Art" - wouldn't
it be great to get framed student art up in all of
your fast food restaurants? Fancy restaurants, too.
People go there you know....Maybe you could get some
$$ for your program in exchange for your exhibit? Once
you have the initial investment in the frames - you
could use them over and over again. Just keep the
kiddie art a standard size for the frames.

Lots of links on what individual states are
doing....some are even giving teachers $$$ for their
efforts!

Oh....and don't forget we are sharing this with
Women's History Month. (many resources on my site)

Good thing we don't have to share it with MATH - that
is next month. Glad I checked on that.

Happy Women's History Month! Happy Youth Art Month!

Cheers,

Judith

=====
Judith Decker