Youth Art Month - Youth as Advocates

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 20:27:55 PST

To anyone that's interested.....

Marcia Carson posted a great Youth Arts Month Activity
to Art Education list.

Marcia has her kids (high school) reflect on why art
is important in their lives - what difference will
having taken an art class make to them in 10
years. They brainstorm, and come up with some great
things, such as working in groups, taking criticism,
planning, learning to modify original plans,
time management, along with the typical art things,
such as personal expression, creativity. Then they
learn who the key players are in schools (board of ed,
local and state, legislators, superintendents, etc).
They go on line to find names and addresses, and each
student writes a letter to a key player, expressing
their views about art and education. It's been a great
learning experience. The students are art advocates.
If you're interested, Marcia is doing a presentation
on this at NAEA - Saturday afternoon
at 3:00.

To any one presenting- I would love to put your
handout on IAD after the conference - just available
to list members. Ken Schwab will be sending me his.
Due to the size of files, I will only be able to leave
them online a short time.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker