Re: source for bones for drawing

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 11:12:58 PST

"ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu> writes:
> The boy scouts in Jackson Hole Wyoming do a fund raiser every
>year auctioning off the shed antlers of the elk in the region. No idea
>how
>much they go for.

Big bucks - the hundreds sometimes. I found a whole horse skeleton on my
mother's land (Wyoming) and hauled parts of it home - it had been through
a winter which is pure and cleansing in Wyo. However, it is chalking away
so I am glad to see the glue idea. Once we had a wonderful student who
was interested in taxidermy for his senior project and he left us lots of
boiled out road kill - all variants of skulls. My son who worked for the
state museum for awhile used to freeze the carcass first to kill germs,
then skin carefully (they were mounting mammal specimens) then gently
simmer away the flesh until they got the skeleton - doesn't smell very
nice but is very clean when you finish - hard to do with a big animal,
however :).

Sue E. Stewart
Fine Arts and English
Sumner High School