Re: art and LD students

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 05:49:49 PST

Hi Sid, normally I have found that overall the boys draw more and better
than my girls, although this semester is a little bit of an exception. the
brain thing is interesting. I'd figured it was more because the boys I have
tend to be attracted to more complex images like manga and race cars,
eagles, and like to copy them, and the girls, left to their own devices will
draw rainbows and 4-petaled flowers and their names over and over so don't
have as much observational practice.

this semester I have three unusually strong girls and three unusually strong
boys. None of them are LD but none of them are academically strong either.
Incredibly average or just above or below. None of them are very motivated,
none of them "love to draw all the time" except one girl who aspires to be a
tattoo artist. One 8th grade girl recently stopped dating an older guy now
in custody for a grisly murder he committed with his mother a few weeks ago
in the presence of his pregnant 15 year old girlfriend. The others have
lesser problems, but almost all of them are from difficult circumstances.
But so are a very large percentage of our kids, so I really can't use that
as a measure. Kent had our school "resouce cop" speak to all his classes
about how to avoid being abducted, but she was called away mid-morning to
quell an uprising of 5th graders at the elementary school. Next year should
be a challenge.

> Betty, do you find that a majority of boys draw better than a majority of
the
> girls at the junior high age??

---