Re: LD Kids & Art

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 08:31:33 PST

Denise, the models you list are very helpful.

I think ecological describes my classroom best. .

We can't pretend that students who think the masks they are making are real
living beings (who are speaking to them) are not processing input in a
dramatically different way than the others. Nothing I do is going to make
them "normal". There is no way to make them look like they're just like
everybody else, and since they themselves are not ashamed of being mentally
retarded or physically disabled it seems wrong to try to make it a secret of
some kind. When we recognize the differences, the whole class can celebrate
when A. chooses the colors of the still life from the box of pencils.
They've known her for years - they knew it was a big deal that she was that
aware of what we were doing. They were almost as impressed as I was.

I do wish I had these kids in a class to themselves. I think they would be
more confident and I could design everything around them instead of always
adapting. They wouldn't miss out on days we do reading and writing or tests,
since they don't come on those days since they don't do those activities.
They miss out on days they go bowling or whatever. So they're never quite
fully integrated.

---