RE: LD Kids & Art

---------

From: Christy Kane (claygoddess31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 07:55:06 PST

As a high school art teacher in PA, our LD students are required to have an
Individual Education Plan(IEP) which is rewritten every year. It entails the
students strengths and needs, and what accomadations are being made to help
the student learn. I am included in this process, and I can discuss with
the parent and/ or student what can and should be expected in class. I have
taught LD and moderately physically handicapped studnets both in my
"regular" classes and in their own class with just a few of them. I find
both approaches work. I myself find it easier to work with them one on one
in their own class, and I get to know them SO much better ( but that's my
goal not theirs).
I have always approached teaching them in what you have described as
"normalizing". It gives them the most respect, and teaches all my students
to respect everyone.

Christy Kane
3-D Art Teacher
Deer Lakes High School