RE: BONES

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 07:44:27 PST

Going to answer my own post here:
Skeletons

Collectors ought not to neglect to preserve the skeletons of the different
species of animals. The best way of cleaning bones, is to expose them to the
air, and allow the insects to eat off the flesh. This being done, they ought
to be washed with sea water, and afterwards freely exposed to the sun. The
best skulls are obtained by putting the whole head in rum or whisky, or a
strong solutions of alum; and both male and female heads ought if possible to
be preserved.

from this website:
http://www.nhc.ed.ac.uk/instructions/ACS.html

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

Wouldn't the best way to clean bones be insects? I think this is how crime
labs clean theirs. But what kind? Anyone know?

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From clarkda <clarkda@glasscity.net> =====
> Well, I now see how this is done currently (posting to the list).
>
> Anyway, I would like to respond to the discussion about BONES. My first
thought is I have a wonderful butcher just twenty minutes away who would
probably give me some bones. I am so glad that this topic was initiated
because I have a nice O'Keefe lesson I wanted touse, but for some reason the
butcher just did not come to mind till you jogged my memory.
> I do have a question for you all. Regarding CLEANING THE BONES for use:
 I read quite a while back about how this is done. Anyone want to give me a
quick reminder? Bleach? Sunshine? That is all that comes to mind as of
now.