Re: arts and nclb

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:28:46 PST

Since I'm no longer teaching, I have to hear about things
secondhand. Of course that's how I found out about most
things when I was teaching. I'm told that in Kansas no teacher
was considered "Highly Qualified" who began teaching prior to
1982. I guess that is when testing of teachers began. All staff
beginning prior to 1982 had to complete a survey using a rubric
to determine if they were highly qualified. Teachers had to
score over 100 points inorder to meet the standard. Only the
last five years of experience was allowed to be counted toward
the 100 points. Of course no one came into a classroom to observe
any teaching as part of all this. What a joke, I'm glad I retired
prior to the real circus.
                                        Woody in KC (for now)

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons