Re: arts and nclb

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:10:55 PST

In Kansas there is now a fine arts requirement for high school graduation
(effective with this year's 7th graders). How NCLB fits in is that according
to NCLB each subject must be taught by "highly qualified instructors". That
means you must be certified in your subject. An industrial arts teacher who
has students create furniture, an English teacher who teaches a drama class,
the business instructor who teaches photography - non of these qualify
because the key is "fine arts being taught by highly qualified" teachers.
~Michal

> not mandated in the NCLB act and many state's standards, ..." I
believe the arts are listed as a "core subject" in the NCLB act.The problem
is that, with the big push for testing in the so-called academic subjects,
many administrators choose to overlook this. Linda

---