Kris' Kumihimo Braiding PowerPoint - Plus LINKS!

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 10:36:20 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Folks, am I the only one who had one of these as a
kid? A small verion that made round braids. I remember
it well...but I know I didn't know what I was
really making at the time.

Kris' Kumihimo Braiding PowerPoint:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/kumihimo.ppt
Kris' PowerPoint will only be online for a few days -
grab it now. Be sure to thank Kris Holsen
krisholsen@yahoo.com

Japanese Culture Links:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/oriental.htm
(click Japan at top)

A short history of Japanese braiding

   Silk braiding was introduced into Japan in the 7th
Century. The braids were used for tying scrolls,
fastening clothing and in cultural activities. Many
different braids were used to fasten the small leather
plates of Samurai armour.

    After the Samurai were abolished in the mid 19th
Century, the braids were used principally for obi
(sash) ties and this continues today.

    The art of Japanese braiding was a closely guarded
secret until quite recent times, but it is now in
practice in the Western work, where there is
less restriction from tradition in the choice of
designs and materials. Copied from:
http://www.woollydesigns.com/majacrft/kumihimo.htm

Link to some resources (books of interest mainly)
http://braiding.org/

Links to some great pictures!
http://www.weavershand.com/#K (first site is in
Japanese characters - but click left table starting
with no 1 - that is all I explored)

Here is where Kris found some of her images:
http://www.weavershand.com/kstory.html

Wow! Start exploring the Gallery!
http://www.weavershand.com/kgallery1.html
Look at these tools - You can make these too (or a
version of them)
http://www.braidershand.com/
(Tama - I think all of my small wooden thread spools
have already become art protects -- you might find a
source - spools/Tama for free. It wouldn't be
difficult to weight them) Nuts and bolts can also be
used for Tama

See this Great Site for off loom weaving technigues:
http://www.weavershand.com/

More info and tools for making:
http://www.mtnloom.com/Kumi.htm

Kumihimo by Helen "Halle" Fleischer - some nice
images:
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/kumihimo.html
Very neat Antique machines!

Good Background info and Production - images too.
Kyoto Kumihimo Braids
http://www.kougei.or.jp/english/crafts/0304/f0304.html

Here is a loom you could build!
http://www.navaching.com/shaku/kumihimo.html

Works by Makikio Tada:
http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~makiko/works.html
Maru-dai braids:
http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~makiko/marudai.html

Related site - Kyoto braids and knots (nice size
images)
http://japan.park.org/Japan/Kyoto/lib/himo1.htm

One book that is available:
Kumihimo: Japanese Silk Braiding Techniques
(Basic Marudai Braids) by Catherine Martin

Enjoy - Happy Braiding!

Judith

=====
Judith Decker