Dumbing Down of America $$$$

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 08:34:39 PST

Dumbing Down of America $$$$

Frani and I stopped at the Hen House market the other day
to pick up a few items. I noticed the checkout screen in front
of the cashier. Not only was she shown the correct change
but, the screen also displayed pictures of the bills and coins
she should return. I gave her a twenty and the screen displayed
pictures of both a ten and five dollar bill and pictures of each of
the proper coins to return. It seems that not only do kids not have
to know how to count change back to customers now, but they don't
even have to be able to count money at all. They just look at the
screen and find items that look like the pictures. I would applaud
this as a teaching aid for my five year old grandkids but not in
public commerce. Perhaps I should look at this as a Visual Aid for
all the Right Brain types who work better with icons, or not.
                                What do you think, Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
My newest paintings from Taos: