RE: Robert Genn Shares Another "Gem" - Fine Arts School

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 08:13:25 PST

Robert Genn said:
Eight years ago a group of parents spearheaded a movement to add a fine arts
curriculum to one of our schools. This was to include visual art, drama,
dance
and musical theatre--at the grade one to seven level. Eventually, the school
board decided to let it happen

I find this very commendable! I recently attended a workshop in order to
better familiarize myself with the new Comprehensive Arts Model Currculum
which will be sent out to schools in May.
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/academic_content_standards/acsarts.asp
During the afternoon session, we were asked to break into groups and help
decide who we thought might be able to cover the dance and theater portions,
since most schools do not offer these courses or have certified instructors in
those areas. I find it disheartening to think that the social studies,
science, and language arts teachers will be expected to cover some of these
standards, not because they aren't capable, but because, most likely, they
won't. Of course, the visual art and music teachers will find that they cover
many of the concepts already.
Still hopeful,
Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH