art and LD students

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 07:16:24 PST

Pam stated, "some of the LD kids are very gifted in art and creative." and "Interestingly, some of the most severely dyslexic students I've had have been very
strong art students - really has made me a believer of the right brain/left brain characteristics."

I completely agree with her. Some of my very best students at drawing have been LD. I think they must have a different way of visually perceiving. Art is also often one of their few strengths that can be used to help them. I once taught a boy who was 16 and in 6th grade. We were very afraid he would drop out if he had to stay in middle school, but he could barely read. He was, however, artistically talented. Through the efforts of a guidance counselor who believed in the power of art, and with the help of a volunteer, we were able to boost his reading somewhat, but we also got the other teachers to allow this boy to express himself with art for such things as social studies and science projects so he could pass the courses. Then we arranged for him to skip to the ninth grade where he could take vocational courses such as brick laying. He did very well and graduated. I had already left the area, but he tracked me down and called to invite me to his high school graduation. I went, of course. It is one of my
fondest memories as a teacher.

Linda in NC

Outbound by GCSnet (b37)

---