RE: flaking glaze + YOU'RE Teacking?????

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 04:42:05 PST

Oh, Man, Larry - you speak to my heart.

 I took no ceramics in college. My first year at my second school (HS) was a gift - the previous art teacher had arranged for a potter to come for an artist in residence program. The artist was a little scary to me - he camped his whole time he was at our school, and was not always the cleanest. However, he taught me so much. He showed me how to begin students on the wheel - you should be able to center with your eyes closed, not by the way it looks - works so well. He did glazing with the us. He talked to us about how the clay is made of little tiny pallette like pieces and when you roll it out, those pieces are very likely to be upended, thus causing warping. He prefered, and taught me to prefer the method of stretching or thinning clay by using a throwing down of the clay onto your table. It's very noisy, and you can get lots of funny lumps untill you learn to do it correctly. WOw - I simply became one of his students. We did talk about this in advance - he mostly taught me during my free pd. T
hen I acted as aide while he was teaching my classes. No, I don't remember his name.
  Then, I got together with the chemistry teacher and we designed a unit together - she taught my higher level art classes a bit of chemistry - via glazes, and her chemistry kids came in, worked with clay and worked with glazing. It was a great few years there!
A long story to say, consider an Artist in Residence. and yes, my glazes still flake.
Jan