Re: flaking glaze

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 03:49:29 PST

> Subject: flaking glaze
> this probably has been answered, but one of my students had this problem
> and the local University Art Ed Professor ( who is also a potter)
suggested
> oily hands.

glazing has been my nemesis...

when I took over from the former teacher...I had his pails of half-filled
glazes, several bins of compounds, and a number of bags of glaze. I did not
get a lot of background stuff on glazing in my college days.

My intention this year was to throw most of it out and rebuild, because I'm
convinced a lot of it is corrupted, but getting roughly $2600 cut from my
budget put that idea on hold.

So...I made some basic underglazes for last year and this...two of em....a
white and a rust red, and after first firing we spray clear gloss glaze over
them...and that has consistently turned out well.

I simply feel like I can't trust my other glazes and don't know enough to
take advantage of what I might have back in my clay room.

I had some flaking issues too...and really stress clean hands...no lotions
and so forth. Still had some problems, and I think some might be how
quickly or slowly you come to high temperatures and that some glazes have
the tendency to run as compared to others?

At any rate...I've seen a number of books out there on glazings, all about
glazes and so forth. From your experiences...can anyone recommend one or
two most excellent books that do not require a chemist's convergent left
brain thinking to understand???

When you buy say a pound of Ruby Red glaze mix for instance....to how much
water in general do you mix...how many pounds of mix say to 2-3 gallons and
so forth? The instructions that accompany such are sorely lacking, at least
have been for me.

I've been more or less eyeballing some of these...and then comes of course
the endless test tiles...

thanks for your thoughts...(like, "what???? YOU'RE teaching???" hahaha)

Larry
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---