RE: Artist of the Month -- Viewzone chewing gum painting

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 15:58:28 PST

This brings to mind the art of Franz Spohn, whom I had the pleasure of meeting
when he came to my school to tape us for "Eureka! The Creative Art Series" for
PBS. His portraits are made of cake sprinkles and gumballs, although the gum
is NOT chewed! He uses a gridded portrait with tubes in front and drops the
colored gumballs down the tube to correspond with the color on the portrait.
He was featured on "Ripley's Believe It or Not" a few years ago when he did a
portrait of Dean Cain made of gumballs. Very interesting person.

Do scroll down to see the cake sprinkle portrait:
http://newmedia.kent.edu/eureka/Gallery/franz.htm

scroll halfway down this page to see him creating a gumball mural:
http://appletonmuseum.org/SeaofForkingPaths/Sea2.htm

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Christine Besack <mrsbeeswax@comcast.net> =====
>Hi All,
>Just when you think you have seen it all. Painting with chewing gum. One of
my students told me he had seen something on TV about a guy who paints with
gum. So I Googled and found this !

> http://www.viewzone.com/gum.html
>
>enjoy, Christine Besack :)

---