Cultural exchange

---------

From: Bueltel, John (bueltelj_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 10:09:05 PST

I am looking to do a cultural exchange unit with another middle school that would have a different cultural setting then Glenwood, IA. I would like my students to have an opportunity to look at other cultures, through art and conversation from other student in the world very different than what they know.

My middle school has 330 seventh and eighth graders. My student population is Middle America. We are in a rural setting, yet a bedroom community for nearby Omaha, NE. Economic background runs the gambit from wealthy to poor, 95% Caucasian, other 5% is a mix of Hispanic, Asian American and African American.

Here are my thoughts about this exchange and briefly my lesson objectives. I hope to do this by first having students explore the term culture and their own culture, and do art works that explore, expresses or identifies that culture. We would also look ate artist that have expressed cultural identities through their art. I would like to connect with another middle school that would do a similar lesson and then exchange the selected art via the internet: web pages or emails. The two schools could post pictures of the art that best describes the culture of the student population and the area. We could examine the art and ask questions of each other about the cultural identities or aspects we observe. This could again be done by email or web page.

I would like to start this unit / exchange in about a month. If this is something you would like to participate in please respond to this email.

Depending on the number of responders I may have different sections of students ( I have 12 ) exchange with different locations.

John Bueltel
Art Instructor
Glenwood Middle School
Glenwood, IA