Ready-Made March/April 2004

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 09:19:24 PST

FYI -

in this month's issue - (I really liked this one - and so did my 17 year
old)
learningtoloveyoumore.com

Learning to Love You More is both a web site and series of non-web
presentations comprised of work made by the general public in response to
assignments given by artists Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher and various
guests. Yuri Ono designs and manages the web site.

Now that you are here you will want to accept an assignment, complete it by
following the simple but specific instructions, send in the required report
(photograph, CD, video, etc), and see evidence of your work posted on-line.
Like a recipe, meditation practice, or familiar song, the prescriptive
nature of these assignments liberates you from creativity and allows you
focus on what you are feeling and experiencing.

One Man's Trash - David Shapiro

David Shapiro: Nickel Bags (September, 1991-December 31, 2003)
Floor 2, Gallery S203 Selected by P.S.1 Curator Jimena Blazquez and P.S.1
Assistant Curator Amy Smith Stewart.
For P.S.1, Brooklyn based artist and filmmaker David Shapiro (b. 1966, New
York) presents "New York City, September, 1991 - December 31, 2003," from
his ongoing series Nickel Bags. The installation is comprised of over 5,000
found objects the artist has collected over the last twelve years. Each day
Shapiro handpicks three abandoned objects off New York City streets and then
seals them in miniature zip lock bags. Movie tickets, headlight shards; a
cigarette butt with a lipstick trace; a bullet; a tooth - from the most
banal to the most personal - together these artifacts formulate an
extraordinary visual diary. Pinned directly to the wall, these intriguing
objects form a dynamic and colorful grid that bears testament to the
transitory nature of our contemporary existence.
David Shapiro was born in New York where he currently lives and works. He has
studied at Hunter College, and the State University of New York, Albany.
Selected recent solo shows include Consumed (2003)

Also - plans for a 10'x10' room designed by Blazona -

Love the Ready-Made ,
Have fun -
Ellen

---