Re: flaking glazes

---------

From: Christine Sumner - Lyman (Caslcat_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 17:27:08 PST

my experience when this happened was 2 things: the student had overapplied
glaze(should use 3 coats)...and, the kiln sitter was not working properly so
the kiln was shutting off before it got hot enough to truly melt the glaze.
Our custodians took alook at the sitter and figured out that the plunger in
the trigger could be made longer by pulling it out some w/ a pair of pliers,
and from then on it worked fine- and that was about 5 yrs ago, and my kilm
is only about 10 yrs old now. My other thought- did you stir up the glaze
well befor the kids used it? It can "settle" in the jars ....
Hope this helps
Christine in Binghamton
in the thick of semester 2 at web design and management certificate program
half time while working full time !