Re: AEN hs rant

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 11:58:05 PST

As we consider how wonderful people of the past were for working "real"
jobs at age 14, remember that the whole concept of adolescence developed
after the depression when there was a great need to have jobs for
people--grown up people with families. We needed to keep all the
adolescents in school so they wouldn't be competing in the job market.
Always before that time kids were
expected to earn their own way by their teen years. My grandmother was on
her own at age 15--only the priviledged few were sent to universities. Sid

---