Re: Behavior disorders and learning disabilities

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 15:14:59 PST

Dear Rachel,

Maggie's advice is right on target. My advice would be to sit down with the
classroom teacher and see where your curriculums cross. If you gear your
lessons to their core curriculum - give them even more of a reason to make
the art - that will be a huge plus. The kids will see how interested in
them -and their needs - you are and will work even harder to produce to for.
Worked every time for me. Social Studies is the easiest subject to start
with - then maybe language arts (what themes in literature are they reading
about? Then check into science content and math).

My LD (learning disabilities), DH (developmentally handicapped) and SBH
(severe behavior handicapped) were all mainstreamed in my classroom....Many
times all of us did a unit that connected with what the special ed classes
were learning. After all of the LD and DH became mainstreamed into core
(inclusion), interdicsiplinary units were even easier to do.

Now this will make you smile.... LD, DH and SBH kids I had did like making
dolls! (figurative sculpture)...Let me know if you want to hear of those
successes.

I told all of this to Maggie -- and just figured I might as well tell you
too (smile).

Maggie - thanks for taking the time to sort through all of your files! I
really appreciate your time and what you posted. I saved it into my folder.
This topic does come up on all list serves.

Judith Decker

> Ronikul@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any art lesson plans for self contained 6th grade
> > BD(behavior disorders) or self contained LD(learning disabilties)
> > classes? Thanks, Rlaks
>
> Rlaks,

> ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu