Re: John James Audubon

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 15:07:20 PST

wellj44@netscape.net wrote:

> One of my students said to me "My mom says Audubon drew the birds,
> but someone else drew the flora, landscape, etc."

Although Audubon did do a number of the backgrounds, he also had several
collaborators; Maria Martin, in particular, was most proficient in
botanical illustration. These collaborators were not very well
acknowledged. Audubon also collaged earlier paintings onto new
backgrounds to save time.

His sons contributed to his paintings of mammals as well.

Maggie

---