Re: Be The Change...

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 12:26:39 PST

>. . WE have 80 parent docents a year who go into the 3rd through 6th
>grade history classroomsto teach art appreciation presentations that
>tie into the historycurriculum. . . These parents become great PR
>systems for your programs!
>Linda Woods

I agree that it is very worthwhile to cultivate, educate, and involve
parents. The best elementary school art lessons my daughter
remembers were the times a parent came to her second grade classroom
and told stories and showed works by Winslow Homer, Edgar Degas, and
several other artists. One of her classmates in the second grade had
a father who happened to be an art history professor. The teacher
had the inspired idea and courage to invite this father to bring a
series of five art history presentations. He loved doing it and the
children became great fans of these particular artists. Even though
she had art teachers all through elementary school, I believe this
was the only art history she ever learned in elementary school. She
is now an accomplished scientist, teacher, mother, and art collector
herself.

Marvin

---