Re: protecting (camera) film from x-rays ???

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:47:57 PST

NMTchr@aol.com wrote:

> Happy Friday everyone!
>
> I'm going to be travelling soon and I'm concerned about the film I'll be
> carting around. I've heard (a rumor) that it's ok as long as it's low
> speed (read: under 400). Does anyone know if that's true?
>
> ...and, do those x-ray film bags really work?

Here are the recommendations straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml

I used to use the lead-lined film bags but no more. If they're in your
checked baggage, they may be subjected to stronger x-rays than normal in
order to see what's inside, or your carefully packed bag unceremoniously
opened and rifled while they see what the heck that opaque blob is. If
you have them in your carry-on you will probably be pulled aside at the
security checkpoint and forced to watch while they unceremoniously open
and rifle your carefully packed baggage.

Maggie

---