John Quincy Adams

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 10:50:50 PST

A small correction - it seemed so unusual that I couldn't imagine I'd never
heard about it so I looked him up-

He interpreted french for his father when he accompanied his father on a
diplomatic mission to Russia. He wasn't an ambassador.

Kathy

Administrators
> [...]
> get a decent grade. Laughs a minute. Horseplay. "C'mon, Mr Seiler...can
> we just have fun today?" was just asked of me yesterday and the day
before
> by my 8th graders.
>
> Such questions burden me with kids just not getting it. That art making,
> exploration and so forth has value. That it is a form of play, but
"serious
> play."
>
> Personally...I resent what is creeping into our culture a notion that fun
> must incorporate a degree of aimless foolishness. Everytime I watch a
video
> on Michelangelo and what he was doing at 13 years of age...or that John
> Quincy Adams was ambassador of the Unites States in Russia at age 14, and
> that we have forgotten most vocabulary he used at that age which would
send
> us to the dictionary in a hurry...I think something of value has been lost
> in this world.
>
> What? Adams never had fun as a child? I'm sure he did.
>
> What of depth? What of foot soldiers in the armies of the Civil War many
> just common laborers prior to fighting that quoted Emerson and Whitman?
> Perhaps I am just too serious as an artist and musician and am myself
unfit
> to be a teacher of the arts. I say that not because of what you have said
> Donald, but as something I often question myself because foolishness and
> silliness abounds and I take the arts serious.
>
> I was a youth pastor for 20 years in several subsequent churches while
> working fulltime as well as a painter. I was a frontman in a band for
> several years in the big hair 80's that wrote originals with positive
> messages, popular in the northern midwest. We knew how to have fun. I
have
> always had a deep concern and passion for youth. However, always there is
> something inside me...deep calling unto deep that there is so much to live
> for, to be thankful for that is missing most people. Moments of
> lightheartedness is good...sure. I personally think we should routinely
> have a moment of silence for all that is good and noble that just feels to
> me is slowly eluding and slipping away from our culture and society.
>
> Immediate sensate gratification...eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow,
who
> gives a rip?
>
> Guess I need to go paint. We have a snow day....need a bit of down time,
> crank some tunes...work on a mural and finish a plein air off I did the
> other day.
> take care...
> Larry
> My websites-
> http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
> http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/
>
> Member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters"
> http://nappap.org
>
> "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---