multi-cultural designs

---------

From: suzy swingle (suzyswingle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 15:17:42 PST

i need help coming up with 10-15 different
multicultural designs. i can think of a few, but i
would like more ideas to choose from.

this is my first year at my elementary school and i
want to start doing an annual "5th grade project". the
outside of the school is really plain and our school
has kids from all over the world. i was thinking the
5th graders could work in groups of 4 and come up with
an original design in the style of say aboriginal dot
paintings or the painted houses of ndebele, south
africa or ______________ and then they would glaze a
6" tile with their part of the pattern and i would
hang them on the outside of the building. there is a
border around the top of the school and i could attach
them to the border.

i would appreciate any design ideas and source leads.

thanks,
suzy swingle
austin, tx