PS Users Check Norton to be up to date - MANY new viruses!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 09:02:59 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Maggie White -- helping you out again (Maggie is the one who has tried to
educate Getty list on the new viruses that spoof email addresses). Your tech
guys at school must be going nuts now updating your networks......

I know I promised I wouldn't post about virus alerts again...but the site I
posted the other day is NOT up to date. Norton is:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html I added a direct link to this
on my Art Resources page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/informat.htm Towards
the top of the page.

Some servers (Yahoo for one) are now set up to automatically reject the
virus subject lines. I am wondering if Getty could do the same? I am
wondering if this could be why Getty is no longer updating their archives?
Dealing with too much junk mail now? (Getty stopped archiving Sunday).

If you get anything from your email domain with an attachment - just delete
that, too. The newest virus is pretty clever.
You will get mail from noreply@yourdoman; security@yourdomain;
management@yourdomain; and any I may have forgotten. Norton does have that
on the site now.

Scan all of the subject lines that are used in the new threads so you are
aware to just delete them without opening the email. I knew there were
several new ones as when you get several at a time it becomes quite clear.
These new ones seem to deliberately be spoofing edu addresses - school
addresses (K12) and YES Getty list member addresses (and YES I did get some
my own address -- and many of you already - don't waste your time emailing
list members telling them to run a virus scan). I will be closing this Road
Runner account soon (the only problem mine is the master address for our
account) - I have had it (the naughty people win). But then all of the folks
who find me in Getty archives won't have any one to answer their mail (oh
well).

There IS a trick you can do that will tell you if your machine is sending
out virus emails....I have had this on my machine for many years. Add a
bogus email address at the top of your address book 0000@doesnotexist) I
call it aaaa. That will stop your machine from sending them if you
accidentally open one. As far as I know this trick still works. I posted it
September 2001 (it is in Getty archives). Maybe someone is more up-to-date
on the tricks than I am.

And as always...if you get a personal email from me that doesn't have a
clear subject line - you KNOW I didn't send it.
And if you think I wrote that one sentence message -- I guess you don't know
me very well (smile). Look how much I rambled here (grin).

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources